L J Foor In Writing: NorthStar Pet - Remembering Murphy

In Memory of Murphy 
3.17.90 - 12.27.07

On Earth Day 1990, a friend of mine, on a country drive, found four kittens abandoned in an old cemetery near Union Furnace, Ohio.  She'd driven past the cemetery and in her rear view mirror saw the silhouette of a kitten (baby Murphy) standing in the road.  She and her companion turned around to pick up the kitten, and once out of the car, heard meowing and found the other 3 kittens huddled together by a gravestone surrounded by grazing sheep.

I'd just lost my dog and cat within 6 weeks of each other, and my friend called me and asked me if I was ready for new pets -- you bet! 

So, I took Murphy and her brother, an orange tiger. (My friend found homes for the other 2 kittens.)  I put tiny Murphy and Frank in a seemingly cavernous cardboard pet carrier and headed home. When I got home, I opened the carrier, and 5-week-old baby Murphy looked right at me and hissed the tiniest, toughest hiss you will ever almost hear and thus a friendship was born!  My life is all the better for knowing her. 

To honor Murphy, please give your pets a little extra affection today! Thanks.